Tarek Na’was, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Biology/Pharmacy
Orme-Gray 418, Beirut Campus
Phone: +961-1-867618/20 ext. 1427
Dr. Tarek Na’was joined the Lebanese American University as a full-timer in October 1994 and in addition to teaching ever since, served as the Dean of Students of the Beirut campus between 1998 and 2010. He currently serves as the academic advisor for the nursing students enrolled on the Beirut campus.
- B.S. in Biology, Faculty of Arts and Sciences, American University of Beirut, Beirut, Lebanon
- M.S. in Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, American University of Beirut, Beirut, Lebanon
- Ph.D. in Basic Medical Sciences (Microbiology), Faculty of Medicine, American University of Beirut, Beirut, Lebanon
- Postdoctoral research fellowship, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, GA, USA
- Fulbright research scholarship, University of Maryland School of Medicine, MD, USA
A licensed clinical laboratory professional, Dr. Tarek Na’was won the "Abdel-Hamid Shouman Award for Young Arab Scientists" in the field of basic medical sciences, granted to active and distinguished young Arab researchers. He supervised many students’ higher education dissertations and was a member of numerous dissertation committees. He also served as reviewer of textbooks and scientific manuscripts as a member of the advisory boards of several scientific journals and societies.
Dr. Na’was participated in professional and scientific meetings and was invited as a speaker in conferences, seminars and forums in high schools and universities, and collaborated in presenting scientific topics to the public. He also attended numerous workshops and training courses in scientific and administrative fields and served as moderator and trainer in others.
Dr. Na’was worked in numerous committees and councils in universities and on the national level and headed national cultural committees and clubs. He represented the LAU faculty repetitively and currently serves as the Vice Chair of the LAU Faculty Senate. Moreover, he is currently assigned to officially represent LAU in the Association of Lebanese Universities.
- Na’was, T.E., Hollis, D.G., Moss, C.W. and Weaver, R.E. Comparison of biochemical, morphologic and chemical characteristics of C.D.C. Fermentative Coryneform Groups 1,2 and A4. J. Clin. Microbiol. 25 (8): 1354–1358 (1987).
- Al-Arab, M.M., Na’was, T.E., and Abu-Yousef I.A. Synthesis of 2,3 Diarylglutaramides and their antibacterial activity. Indian J. chem. 29B: 694–696 (1990).
- Na’was, T.E., AL-Kaysi, H. and Sheikh-Salem, M. Microbial contamination and preservation efficacy of cough preparations. J. Clin. Pharm. Therap. 15: 365–369 (1990).
- Takrouri, M., EL-Daher, N. and Na’was, T. E. Recolonization of anaesthetic instruments after regular treatment with potentially pathogenic organisms. M. E. J. Anesth. 10(5): 479–487 (1990).
- AL-Arab, M. M., Na’was, T. E. and Abu-Yousef. I. A. Stereoselective synthesis of new 2,3 Diarylglutaramides and their anti-bacterial activity. Toxicol. Environ. Chem. 27: 277–284 (1990).
- EL-Daher, N., Na’was, T. E. and AL-Qaderi, S. The effect of the pH of various dairy products on the survival and growth of Brucella melitensis Ann. Trop. Med. Par. 84(5): 523–528 (1990).
- Na’was, T. E. and Fakhoury, J. Nasal Carriage of Methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus by hospital staff in north Jordan. J. Hosp. Inf. 17: 223–229 (1991).
- Sunna, E., EL-Daher, N., Bustami, K. and Na’was, T. A study of group B streptococcal carrier state during late pregnancy. Trop. Geog. Med. 43: 161–64 (1991).
- Na’was T. E. and Abo-Shehada, M. A study of the bacterial and parasitic causes of acute diarrhoea in northern Jordan. J. Diarrhoeal Dis. Res. 9(4): 305–309 (1991).
- AL-Qutob, R., Na’was, T. and Mawajdeh, S. The role of day care givers in the identification and prevention of infections. Soc. Sci. Med. 33(7): 859–862 (1991).
- AL-Kaysi, H.N., Abdel-Hay, M.H., Sheikh-Salem, M., Gharaibeh, A.M., and Na’was, T. Chemical and microbiological investigations of metal ion interaction with norfloxacin. Int. J. Pharmaceutics. 87: 73–77 (1992).
- Na’was, T.E. Methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus in clinical specimens of a Jordan Hospital. J. Hosp. Inf. 25: 71–72 (1993).
- Lafi, S.Q., Al-Rawashdeh, O.F., Na’was, T.E. and Hailat, N. A national cross-sectional study of mastitis in dairy cattle in Jordan. Trop. Anim. Health Prod. 26 (3): 168–74 (1994).
- Na’was, T. and Al-Ali, A.M. Clinical significance of coagulase negative staphylococci in a Jordan hospital. In: Staphylococci and Staphylococcal Infections (Proceedings of the 7th. International Symposium). Mollby, R., Flock, J.-I., Nord, C.E., and Christensson (editors). Zentralb. Bakteriol. Suppl. 26. Gustav FisherVerlag, New York. 1994. pp. 139–143.
- Na’was, T. and Alkofahi, A. Microbial contamination and preservative efficacy of topical creams. J. Clin. Pharm. Therap. 19 (1): 41–6 (1994).
- Na’was, T., Mawajdeh, S., Dababneh, A. and Al-Omari, A. Comparative In - Vitro activities of antimicrobial agents against Proteus species from clinical specimens. Br. J. Biomed. Sci. 51 (2): 95–9 (1994).
- Na’was, T., Hawwari, A., Hendrix, E., Hebden, J., Edelman, R., Martin, M., Campbell, W., Naso, R., Schwalbe, R., and Fattom, A. Phenotypic and genotypic characterization of nosocomial Staphylococcus aureus isolates from trauma patients. J. Clin. Microbiol. 36 (2): 414–420 (1998).
- Essawi, T., Na’was, T., Hawwari, A., Wadi, S., Doudin, A., and Fattom, A. Molecular, antibiogram and serological typing of Staphylococcus aureus isolates recovered from Al- Makased Hospital in East Jerusalem. Tropical Medicine and International Health: 3(7): 576–583 (1998).
- Na’was, T. On-line Registration: A blessing or a curse (In Arabic). On the Way: Proceedings of the XXIV Arab AACRAO conference. Beirut. Lebanon. March 31 to April 3, 2003. cited 22: 115–142, 2004.